Science Based Business Fundamentals
|Periode:||Semester 1 & 2, Blok I, III|
- Wel Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Science Based Business (SBB) Fundamentals is a 10-week full time course for graduate Science students who
- wish or consider to pursue a career outside the domain of (fundamental) scientific research;
- pursue a career in scientific research but wish to broaden their horizon e.g. having in mind later career opportunities that may require knowledge of fundamental business principles and training of managerial skills.
The course is open to all MSc students from the Faculty of Science and to MSc students in the Biomedical Sciences.
Please note: For this course, it is not possible to register via USIS. Please register through our jot form
Last minute change of plans? The SBB Fundamentals February 2012 course has several open spots!
The course introduces business principles and managerial skills with a focus on their application in science-based organizations. It has been set up based on what alumni and managers of science-based organizations perceive to be most important to science students.
The programme starts with a week of introductory lectures and a business game followed by lectures, work groups and assignments in the areas of:
- Strategic Marketing Management,
- Financial Management
- Project Management
- Selected Topics covering innovation management, legal affairs, intellectual property, negotiating, human resources management, organisational behaviour and business ethics.
dr. H. Jousma (programme director) and drs. G. Degenaars (programme coordinator), firstname.lastname@example.org
Lectures, working groups, workshops, case discussions, assignments (both individual and team assignments), oral presentations, guest speakers.
- Winer, R.S. (2011): Marketing management. 4th Edition. Pearson Prentice Hall.
- Brealey R.A., Myers S.C. and A.J Marcus (2009): Fundamentals of Corporate Finance. 6th edition, McGraw-Hill.
- Additional material: readers, cases, lecture hand-outs, articles.
All study material will be centrally provided by the course management.
For each SBB Fundamentals course a separate blackboard space is created in which the students are enrolled by the course coordinator. Lecture notes, assignments, important announcements etc can be found there.
The (relative) grading of this course is based on a weighted average of the grades of tests and assignments
To learn to understand and work with business principles most relevant to science-based organizations and to enhance personal skills, in particular presentation, negotiation and planning skills and working in teams.
The maximum number of participants for this course is set at 25 in February. To ensure the possibility to participate, it is advisable to fill in the application form well in advance.
The Spring semester course starts Monday February 6th, 2012.
More information about our organization can be found at our website
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Science Based Business||Science Based Business||1 & 2||I, III|