Seminar research strategies field archaeology
|Periode:||Semester 2, Blok III|
- Geen Keuzevak
- Wel Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Degree students (including Dutch BA graduates): BA degree (or equivalent) in Archaeology or a relevant discipline.
SAP and Exchange Students: BA degree. Admission only after formal application.
This seminar teaches students how to translate research problems into fieldwork strategies and in multi-disciplinary research. Based on actual cases, project outlines are made, assessed and discussed in small teams.
The lectures focus on how research questions must be formulated to generate new knowledge through excavation and post-excavation analysis. There is also a focus on the social aspect of archaeological research, forcing us to make choices. Calculation of the financial consequences of project outlines is part of the course as well.
- Ability to apply interpretative approaches to data;
- Ability to translate research problems into practical fieldwork and laboratory work;
- Knowledge of field methods;
- Awareness of the social aspect of archaeological research and making choices;
- Ability to assess critical factors in research (risk analysis);
- Ability to formulate a properly argumented opinion on current issues;
- Oral presentation skills;
- Ability to work in a team.
The course load will be distributed as follows:
- 7×2 hours of lectures;
- 280 pages of literature;
Course schedule details can be found in the MA time schedule.
Mode of instruction
- (Group) presentations;
Guest lectures by experts in the field are combined with the discussion of assignments made in groups.
- Participation in discussion;
The assignment deadline is 29 March 2013.
M. Carver, Archaeological Investigation. Routledge (2010). ISBN: 978-0-415-48919-5.
Exchange and Study Abroad students, please see the Prospective students website for information on how to apply.
Contractonderwijs: all information (costs, registration, entry requirements, etc.) for those who are interested in taking this course as a Contractstudent is on the Contractonderwijs Archeologie webpage (in Dutch).
For more information about this course, please contact drs R. Jansen.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Archaeology: Field Archaeology||Master||2||III|