History and theory of museums and collections: Museum history
|Periode:||Semester 1 & 2, Blok II, III|
- Wel Keuzevak
- Wel Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
This lecture course surveys the history of museums and collections from the 16th century until today. As a fundamentally western institution, much of the history of museums remains European, but we will also address equivalent phenomena in other cultures.
The emergence of museums, i.e. the transformation of collections into learned institutions will be demonstrated by visits to various museums in Leiden. Collecting involves acquiring and displaying objects. Attention will be given to legal and ethical aspects of the trade in objects and to the presentation of material culture. Students will produce a short paper based on research and will take an examination at the end of the course.
Non-European examples of museum practices will be presented by means of guest lectures from curators of the National Museum of Ethnology.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of the history of museums in the early-modern and modern world, and relate that knowledge to the practices of museums today;
- Awareness of ethical questions concerning museum archaeology and museum anthropology;
- Ability to discern different types of presentation and communication in museums;
- Ability to demonstrate skills in historical research and writing.
The course load will be distributed as follows:
- Lectures (2 ects);
- Literature (3 ects).
Course schedule details can be found in the MA time schedule.
Mode of instruction
- Written Examination (90%);
- Assignment (10%). The assignment will take place during the course.
Exam dates can be found in the examination schedule.
To be handed out during class.
Exchange and Study Abroad students: please see the Prospective students website for information on how to apply.
Contractonderwijs: all information (costs, registration, entry requirements etc.) for those who are interested in taking this course as a Contractstudent is on the Contractonderwijs Archeologie webpage (in Dutch).
For more information about this course, please contact prof. dr R.B. Halbertsma.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Archaeology: Master electives||Keuzevak||1 & 2||II, III|
|Archaeology: Museum Studies||Master||1 & 2||II, III|