EU Substantive Law
- Geen Keuzevak
- Wel Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Admission to the Master (specialisation European law)
This course will focus on the internal market of the EU. This is an area without internal frontiers within which the free movement of goods, persons, services and capital is guaranteed. In the first part of the course, these four fundamental freedoms will be studied. The ‘fifth freedom’ relating to EU citizenship will also receive attention.
A true internal market cannot be realised without competition rules regulating the behaviour of private parties on that market. In the second part of this course, the emphasis will be on the competition rules of the EU, in particular the rules with regard to cartels, the abuse of dominant positions, merger control and state aid.
Objectives of the course
The main objective of this course is to provide students an insight into two of the most important sets of substantive EU rules, namely the free movement rules and the competition rules and demonstrate how they affect the national legal orders of the EU Member States and impact on the daily lives of EU citizens.
The following achievement levels apply with regard to the course:
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the core Treaty rules and principles with regard to the internal market of the EU ad EU competition law, as well as recent developments in the law and case law
The timetable of this course can be found in uSis.
Mode of instruction
- Number of (2 hour) lectures: 10
- Names of lecturers: Prof. mr. S. Van den Bogaert and Dr. J.J. Rijpma
- Required preparation by students: Students are required to read the compulsory literature and case law before each class
- Number of (2 hour) seminars:
- Names of instructors:
- Required preparation by students:
Other methods of instruction
- Description: tutorial group sessions during which practical case studies will be tackled
- Number of (2 hour) instructions: 10
- Names of instructors: still to be determined
- Required preparation by students: Students are required to read the compulsory literature and case law before each class. On a number of occasions students are required to submit written preparation for class in advance.
- Written preparation for tutorials (25%)
- Written or oral exam (75%)
During the course, students will have to submit on a number of occasions their written preparation for the tutorial group sessions. The written work will have to be submitted both in hard copy and electronically through Blackboard.
Areas to be tested within the exam
The examination syllabus consists of the required reading (literature) and case law for the course, as well as all subjects discussed during the lectures and tutorials.
More information on this course is offered in Blackboard.
Obligatory course materials
Students are free to use any handbook on EU substantive and EU competition law they feel most appropriate. We however recommend: Craig & De Burca, EU law: text, cases and materials (5th edition), Oxford University Press, 2011.
Compulsory case law and reading materials will be made available on blackboard, as well as a list of recommended case law and reading materials.
Recommended course materials TBD
Registration Via uSis
- Co-ordinator: Dr. J.J. Rijpma
- Work address: Room B1.35 KOG
- Contact information: via secretariat, see below
- Telephone number: +31 (0)71 527 7761
- Email: email@example.com
- Institute: Public Law
- Department: European law
- Room number secretary: B.1.21
- Opening hours: Mon-Fri 9-17h
- Telephone number secretary: +31 (0)71 527 8837
firstname.lastname@example.org 071 – 527 7760
- Email: email@example.com
All relevant information with regard to this course will also be made available on “Blackboard”: http://blackboard.leidenuniv.nl/.
Belangstellenden die deze cursus in het kader van contractonderwijs willen volgen (met tentamen), kunnen meer informatie vinden over kosten, inschrijving, voorwaarden, etc. op de website van Juridisch PAO.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Rechtsgeleerdheid: European Law||Master||2|