Economic Policy in the EU
- Wel Keuzevak
- Wel Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Progression to the written exam is available only for students who have scored a sufficient grade of 5.5 or more on the written assignments and the presentations. The submission process is described in the reader.
The European Union has achieved deep integration of the economies of its member states. Its ambition is to continue this integration. Understanding both the achievements and the ambitions of the European Union are the main purpose of this course. We will discuss the development and the landmarks of this integration process building on the economic analysis of international economics and economic policies. The focus will be on the so-called four freedoms that were expressed in the Treaty of Rome, which created the EU, i.e. freedom of flow of goods, of services, of capital and of persons.
At the end of this course, the student will have a better understanding of the economic policies of the European Union and of the interaction with national policies. He or she will be able to link legal and political developments in the European Union to economic developments and will be able to present the relevant discussions.
Objectives of the course
The course is part of the Minor Economics. In this course, the student will attain knowledge and an understanding of the issues in the field of Economic Policy in the EU. The student will be trained to independently analyse these issues.
The following achievement levels apply with regard to the course:
- Important (current) issues in the field of European Economic Integration.
- The student will have a command of the core elements in this field of expertise.
- The student will be able to collect, process and interpret information in the field of Economic Integration.
Mode of instruction
Number of (2 hour) lectures: 5 of 7
- Number of (2 hour) seminars: 5 of 7
- Names of instructors: Dr. J. de Kort
- Required preparation by students: reading material, assignments. Students are expected to engage actively in discussions with regard to the assignments.
- Written exam
- Written assignments during the course
In the seminars, students will actively engage in presenting their knowledge. They need to prepare the seminars through weekly assignments, that will have to be presented orally and in writing. (through Blackboard). Deadlines are indicated in the Class Schedule.
Areas to be tested within the exam
The examination syllabus consists of the required reading (literature) for the course, the course information guide and the subjects taught in the lectures, the seminars and all other instructions which are part of the course.
More information on this course is offered in “Blackboard”: http://blackboard.leidenuniv.nl/.
Obligatory course materials
Susan Senior Nello, “The European Union. Economics. Politics and History”, McGraw Hill, 3rd edition, 2012.
Course information guide:
European Economic Integration (app. 150 pages), available through Blackboard.
Recommended course materials
Registration is through uSis
- Co-ordinator: Dr. J. de Kort
- Work address: Kamerlingh Onnes Gebouw, Steenschuur 25, 2311 ES Leiden, room A2.63
- Contact information: Through the secretariat of the Economics unit
- Telephone number: +31 (0)71 527 7831
- Email: email@example.com
- Institute: Institute for Tax Law and Economics
- Department: Economics
- Room number secretary: B207
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9:00-12.00
- Telephone number secretary: +31 (0)71 527 7756
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
N.B. This course contains a ‘practicum’ (see the Teaching and Exam Regulations).
Application: through U-twist.
Belangstellenden die deze cursus in het kader van contractonderwijs willen volgen (met tentamen), kunnen meer informatie vinden over kosten, inschrijving, voorwaarden, etc. op de website van Juridisch PAO.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Economie en Beleid||Minor||2|
|Exchange Rechtsgeleerdheid||Exchange and Study Abroad Students||2|
|Rechtsgeleerdheid - economie||Bachelor||2|