History of the Islam in the West
- Wel Keuzevak
- Wel Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Wel A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Islamologie, or a corresponding knowledge level (to be discussed with, and agreed upon by, the professor)
This course covers the entire history of Islam in the West, from 700 AD until the present. Distinction will be made between, on the one hand, physical encounters with Muslims on the European continent and, later, in the West (war, coexistence, diplomacy, trade, slavery) and, on the other hand, ‘virtual’encounters with Islam (such as the study of Islam in the West, and the Western imagery of Islam and Muslims). The course will be divided into periods as well as thematic topics. A central question throughout the course is what role is being played by religion in general, and Islam in particular. Specific attention will be paid to the different ways that from a 21st perspective one may reflect on this history.
The students mus make weekly assignments based on questions regarding the literature. With an attendance of less than 25 students, the course will be ended with a 6,000-word paper about a topic of the student’s choice. With more than 25 students the course will be ended with a written exam.
• Knowledge: The student will aquire knowledge of the relations between the West and Islam, and the role of religion and specific historical circumstances in these relations.
• Insight: the student will acquire insight in the diversity of these relations, and will be able to reflect on them from various perspectives, including the role that historical events and images of Muslims and Islam play in modern times.
• Skills: the student will learn to express him/herself in writing, and will learn to study academic literature..
See Time table
Mode of instruction
- Total course load: 140 hours – Hours spent on attending lectures : 24 hours – Time for studying the compulsory literatur: 70 hours – Time for completing assignment: 24 – Paper/Exam: 22 hours
• Weekly assigmnments (1/3 of final grade)
• Exam or Paper (2/3 of final grade)
The programme, literature, assignments and conditions for the paper will be made available through Blackboard
See Blackboard### Registration
In addition to the registration in uSis, students are also expected to self-enroll in Blackboard a few weeks before the course starts, to gain access to the programme, literature and additonal information.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/
Attendance is compulsory. More than 2 absences will automatically exclude the student from further attendance and finalizing the course.
All other information.