|Periode:||Semester 2, Blok IV||Onderwijstijd in uren
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Why is the sky blue? How do satellites continually fall without touching Earth and why do I have a problem with films like Gravity and Interstellar?! How do dolphins find prey using sound alone? How does noise cancellation work? What does one of the Hague’s most famous residents have to do with Saturn?
In this course we’ll take the first steps towards understanding the rules by which the universe operates. We will take a tour through motion (including gravity), heat, and waves. At each step we’ll answer some everyday, and sometimes not-so-everyday, questions about why the world works in the way it does.
By the end of this course, students will have confidence in approaching the rules that govern the motion, heat and waves around us. The course will allow students to:
- Students will be able to apply the basic laws of motion, heat, and waves,
- Appreciate the interplay between observation, experiment, and theory in discovering the boundaries of our knowledge,
- Devise and apply models of physical situations and analyse them quantitatively,
- Develop the confidence to comperhend and approach problems in physics.
Once available, timetables will be published here.
Mode of instruction
The course will consist of structured lectures including demonstrations, example calculations, and experiments.
- Individual assignment 1: 15%
- Individual assignment 2: 15%
- Mid-term exam: 20%
- In-class participation: 10%
- Final exam: 40%
There will be a Blackboard site available for this course. Students will be enrolled at least one week before the start of classes.
Can be obtained for reasonable prices second hand or as an ebook: College Physics, 9th Edition, Serway, R.A & Vuille, C., 2011, ISBN-13: 978-0840062062
This course is open to LUC students and LUC exchange students. Registration is coordinated by the Curriculum Coordinator. Interested non-LUC students should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr Paul Behrens
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Earth, Energy, and Sustainability (LUC)||Major||2||IV|
|Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges||Bachelor||2||IV|