Social Determinants of Health
|Periode:||Semester 2, Blok III||Onderwijstijd in uren
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Vulnerable and socially disadvantaged people suffer more from diseases and have a shorter lifespan on average than people in higher social positions. These health inequalities are a result of the circumstances in which people born, grow, live, work, and age (i.e. social determinants of health).
These circumstances are shaped by political, social, and economic measures. In order to decrease health inequalities it is seems necessary to involve the political, social and economic sectors. During this course we will explore the interactions between social determinants and health and discuss the role public health workers can play in reducing health inequalities.
After this course students will be able to:
- describe how to measure health inequalities
- explain how health inequalities develop.
- explain what social determinants are and how they influence health.
- evaluate interventions and policies to reduce health inequalities
- describe the underlying assumptions and elements required for the development of an intervention aimed at reducing health inequalities
Once available, timetables will be published here.
Mode of instruction
- Written Individual assignment 20%
- Written group assignment 30%
- Individual Exam 30%
- Presentations 10%
- In class participation 10%
There will be a Blackboard site available for this course. Students will be enrolled at least one week before the start of classes.
This course is open to LUC students and LUC exchange students. Registration is coordinated by the Curriculum Coordinator. Interested non-LUC students should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kirsten Langeveld email@example.com
- Vera Nierkens firstname.lastname@example.org
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Global Public Health (LUC)||Major||2||III|
|Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges||Bachelor||2||III|