Arabic - Beginners
|Periode:||Semester 1, Blok I, II||Onderwijstijd in uren
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
This is a Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) course for beginners. MSA is the common language in the 22 Arabic countries, and is widely spread in the inter-Arab media. This course will provide students with the basics in Arabic and give them a good background. In addition to MSA, students are introduced to Egyptian Arabic, as it is the most widely used spoken variety of Arabic.
At the end of this course, students will start using short memorized phrases to interact in simple predictable situations. Students will be able to understand and express basic information about familiar topics like self, family, likes or dislikes. Students will be able to reflect on how to express such information in culturally appropriate and relevant manner.
This course aims at the A1 level of the Common European Framework.
Once available, timetables will be published here.
Mode of instruction
- Midterm 15%
- Final exam 20%
- Quizzes 20% (4 × 5% Each)
- Homework assignments 15%
- Final Project 15%
- Participation 15%
There will be a Blackboard site available for this course. Students will be enrolled at least one week before the start of classes.
- Alif Baa, Third Edition Bundle (Book + DVD + Website Access Card), Kristen Brustad, Mahmoud Al-Batal, and Abbas Al-Tonsi, ISBN: 9781626161221.
- Al-Kitaab Part One, Third Edition Bundle: Book + DVD + Website Access Card, Kristen Brustad, Mahmoud Al-Batal, and Abbas Al-Tonsi, ISBN: 1626161240.
Recommended Literature & Other Sources (e.g. websites, Academic Journals, documentaries etc.)
- Hans Wehr, A Dictionary of Modern Written Arabic (Arabic-English). Edited by J. Milton Cowan. Fourth Edition, considerably enlarged and amended by the author. (Ithaca, N.Y., 1994).
Additional material as deemed appropriate by instructor, made available via BlackBoard.
This course is open to LUC students and LUC exchange students. Registration is coordinated by the Curriculum Coordinator. Interested non-LUC students should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Languages (LUC)||Keuzepakket||1||I, II|
|Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges||Bachelor||1||I, II|