|Periode:||Semester 1, Blok I||Onderwijstijd in uren
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
This course is an intensive introduction to integral and differential calculus. We will begin with a unit on limits, continuity, and the use of derivatives to approximate elementary functions. We will follow with a unit on single- and multi-variable extremization, including extremization under constraints. We will end with a unit on using single- and multi-variable integration to calculate volumes and areas. We will apply our methods to examples from physics, economics, statistics, and other sciences.
After this course, students will have
- internalized the foundational concepts and methods of differential and integral calculus,
- demonstrated the ability to communicate clear and correct calculus reasoning, and
- applied various calculus tools in combination in order to solve complex problems.
Once available, timetables will be published here.
Mode of instruction
There will be two primary modes of instruction. Students will learn the basic terminology and methods from assigned readings between sessions; class time is reserved for enriching that knowledge through examples, derivations, and group discussion.
In accordance with the learning objectives of internalization, demonstration, and synthesis, the final grade will consist of the following components:
- 30% from twice-weekly quizzes, except for the first lecture. The highest 12 out of 13 scores are counted at 2.5% each.
- 30% from homework assignments. Each of the three assignments is worth 10%.
- 30% from one take-home final exam.
- 10% from various forms of active participation; details will be made clear in the syllabus.
There will be a Blackboard site available for this course. Students will be enrolled at least one week before the start of classes.
Readings for each session will be posted on Blackboard.
This course is open to LUC students and LUC exchange students. Registration is coordinated by the Curriculum Coordinator. Interested non-LUC students should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Earth, Energy, and Sustainability (LUC)||Major||1||I|
|Global Public Health (LUC)||Major||1||I|
|Governance, Economics and Development (LUC)||Major||1||I|
|Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges||Bachelor||1||I|