Internship Educational Science
|Periode:||Semester 1 & 2, Blok II, III, IV|
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
NB Language spoken in course is English unless only Dutch-speaking students participate
Education and schooling are changing rapidly in terms requirements and demands of different stakeholders (state, labour market, teachers, parents and pupils), the pedagogies, didactics, educational technology and substantive knowledge bases used in education, and broader social developments (globalization, ethnic and cultural diversity, performance management, audit culture, changes in the composition of the teacher workforce, demographic developments) impacting the educational system.
Master students in our program have become acquainted with some of these developments through their courses and assignments. The internship program intends to relate the theoretical perspective to practical experience in the areas of teaching and research through active involvement.
The Master program Educational Science prepares for teaching and research positions in the domain of education. The aim of the internship program is to offer opportunities for practice and preparation for future positions in this field.
The Internship program requires students to undertake both a teaching and a research project activity. In addition it requires students to actively participate in course activities.
The teaching internship is meant to build professional experience in an educational setting. This means that students become active in the design and development as well as the application of solutions for problems encountered in that setting. The research internship should provide the student with the opportunity of designing, executing an reporting research (and/or research-based development) activities carried out either in Educational Science or in external organizations.
More information is available on the website of the Internship Bureau and on Blackboard.
After completing the internship participants will be able to:
- participate in a professional way in the practice of educational organizations;
- participate in professional ways in research commissioned by internal or external agents;
- critically apply and evaluate research-based solution models in educational settings;
- develop critical and theorized evaluations of educational problems;
- analyze and report on the suitability and feasibility of solutions for such problems in specific educational contexts;
- cooperate with professionals in education on educational artifacts or products;
- systematically describe and explicate the solution offered (both design process and result).
The general objectives of an internship are:
- Integration of knowledge and skills in research and practice previously acquired in course work, in particular in realistic work situations;
- the acquisition of further relevant knowledge and skills, and insight into practical situaties in the field of work;
- intensive acquaintance with a relevant field of research or work;
- learning to function independently and responsibly in an organization (professional attitudes);
- gaining insight into one’s own potential and limitations, both with regard to skills and with regard to personal functioning.
Mode of instruction
Practice assignments, workshops, lectures, group work.
Both the teaching and the research internship are concluded with a final report. These reports will contain the following components:
1. a description of the (teaching or research) problem explored or task executed during the internship and a critical analysis of educational solution or approach chosen.
2. a reflection on one’s learning experiences during the internship given one’s learning goals, the work situation, work tasks and one’s activities and performance during these activities.
At the end of your internship period, your internship tutor will determine your final grade. This grade is based on (1) the assessment advice of your internship supervisor, (2) your participation in internship meetings, and (3) the quality of your research internship report and your teaching internship report. All parts should be assessed as at least satisfactory. The internship program is concluded by a presentation about one of your internships.
During this course Blackboard is used.
Depending on the subject of study.
NB The exam of this course is a paper. This means that you do not have to register yourself for this exam in uSis.
Co-ordinator: Dr. F.J Glastra, room 4A44
In case of questions please make an appointment by mail.
For general information on internships and advice in the search process, please contact the Internship Bureau
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Education and Child Studies: Educational Science||Master||1 & 2||II, III, IV|