Modern Media in SSEA
|Periode:||Semester 1, Blok I, II||Onderwijstijd in uren
- Wel Keuzevak
- Wel Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Succesful completion of Histories of Modern South and Southeast Asia or Nation, Community, Self: Questions of Culture in South and Southeast Asia. Please, contact the Coordinator of Studies or Dr. S. Sunderason, if you are interested in taking this course, but do NOT fulfill the abovementioned requirement.
The seminar (werkcollege) Modern Media in South and Southeast Asia introduces students to the forms, mechanisms and politics of media across South and Southeast Asia. We cover both print and electronic media, as well as new media spanning interdisciplinary material from television, film, radio, video, sound carriers, telephony, internet, and more. Students will be encouraged to read audio-visual texts, and communicative technologies in media, and critically integrate media concepts with social, political and cultural history of the region. The focus of the course lies on the present, but with awareness of recent history. The course is organsied in five themes, that connect South and Southeast Asian material.
• Knowledge of and insight into the recent history, in social and political context, of media and communication technologies in South and Southeast Asia.
• Knowledge of and insight into the cultural functions of media and communication technologies in modern South and Southeast Asia.
• Knowledge of and insight into the main themes and approaches of media studies in general and particularly with regard to South and Southeast Asia.
Mode of instruction
Attendance and participation are obligatory for seminars. Students are required to attend all sessions. The convenors need to be informed without delay of any classes missed for a good reason (i.e. due to unforeseen circumstances such as illness, family issues, problems with residence permits, the Dutch railways in winter, etc.). In these cases it is up to the discretion of the convener(s) of the course whether or not the missed class will have to be made up with an extra assignment. Being absent without notification can result in a lower grade or exclusion from the term end exams and a failing grade for the course.
• Total course load for the course: 140 hours.
• Hours spent on attending lectures and seminars: 24 hours.
• Approximate time for studying the compulsory literature: 78 hours
• Approximate time for writing the web-postings and preparing for presentations: 36 hours
• Examination: 2 hours
Active participation and written examination.
- active participation: weekly web-postings, presentations, discussion (40% of the overall mark)
- concluding written examination with essay-type questions (60% of the overall mark)
The course is an integrated whole. All categories must be completed in the same academic year. No partial marks can be carried over into following years.
In order to pass the course, students must obtain an an overall mark of “5.50” (=6) or higher.
An exam resit is possible only for element (2).
If a student requests in writing a review of his/her examination answer script within 30 days after publication of the exam results, an exam review will be organized.
Blackboard is used for:
• table of contents of the course
• course materials
• making available of assignments
• webpostings by students
Blackboard serves as the primary means of communication about the course between instructors and students outside class meetings. Registration for the course on Blackboard is essential.
To be announced later. The readings must be studied prior to the class in question.
Students are required to register through uSis. To avoid mistakes and problems, students are strongly advised to register in uSis through the activity number which can be found in the timetable in the column under the heading “Act.nbr.”.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
(Studeren à la carte is not possible for this course.)
The coordinator: Dr. S. Sunderason
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|South and Southeast Asian Studies||Bachelor||1||I, II|