Early cities and states
|Periode:||Semester 1, Blok II||Onderwijstijd in uren
- Wel Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
The contents of this course are complex societies, which formed cities and states, as they occur in the Near Eastern and Mediterranean world between about 4000 BC and 300AD. During the class we will discuss the processes which were important for the development of these early societies. This will be achieved through the discussion of different theories and their relevant archaeological data.
In both regions there are site specific and broader methodological differences. These result in some interesting discrepancies but also some striking similarities. In this class we will not only focus on tracing the development of complex societies but also on the inherent archaeological difficulties that arise from the study of these processes. Topics that will be covered are: urbanization, central places, state formation, trade, collapse, multiculturalism and imperialism.
- Ability to evaluate critically the above themes on the basis of a number of examples from the archaeology of the Near East and the Mediterranean;
- Ability to understand the different explanatory models that exist for the creation of (and trends in) complex societies in all their facets.
Course schedule details can be found in the bachelor 2 time schedule.
Mode of instruction
The course load will be distributed as follows:
- 14 hours of lectures (2 ects);
- 420 pages of literature (3 ects).
All exam dates (exams, re-sits, paper deadlines etc.) can be found in the examination schedule.
- R. Matthews, The Archaeology of Mesopotamia: Theories and Approaches. London: Routledge (2003) (204 p.);
- This will be supplemented with additional articles. A reading list will be provided 2 weeks before class.
Registration for the course or the exam is not required.
Exchange and Study Abroad students, please see the Prospective students website for information on how to apply.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|