On being a Scientist, part 2
- Wel Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
On being a scientist, part 1
Science and in particular the natural sciences play an integral part in our society. However, due to incidents concerning integrity the societal credit has diminished.
This course is designed to inform bachelor students on topics as scientific integrity and social responsibilities of scientist. Broad questions, which are inseparable linked to these topics are discussed. Namely regarding the nature of science and the societal role it fulfills.
On Being a Scientist, part 2 will comprises the following subjects:
• Scientific fraud and indecency
• Science & Industry
• Science and societal problems
• Scientific activism
• Students will be familiar with the preconditions and principles of science and “knows what is and isn’t acceptable”.
• Students will have a realistic view of what science is and what scientist do.
• Students will recognise integrity dilemmas; knowing how to handle themselves in clear cut situation, and have a sufficient basis to be able to handle unclear situations.
• Students know and recognise similarities and differences between their own discipline and other disciplines in- and outside the faculty of Science.
• Students will know the role of science in society; will realise their own social responsibility; and will be able to independently take position regarding social issue in which science plays an important role.
|May 04, 2018||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|May 18, 2018||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|May 25, 2018||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|June 01, 2018||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|Examination, part 2|
|June 08, 2108||09:00-12:00||USC|
|Re-examination, part 2|
|July 09, 2018||09:00-12:00||USC|
Lectures and group discussions
Written examination and group assignments.
Name of the Bb module: On Being a Scientist  (4602OBAS3-1718FWN)
Enroll in Blackboard. After enrollment the student assistants will assign students to groups.
Aanbevolen (niet verplicht):
On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research: Third Edition (2009). National Academies Press, Washington, D.C. – available as free download
John Hatton & Paul Plouffe (1997) Science and its ways of knowing.
This course is offered to all students of the Faculty of Science.
The course ‘On being a Scientist’ is offered in 2 parts; part 1 (2 EC) and part 2 (1 EC).
The programme Bio-Pharmaceutical Sciences offer part 1 in year 2 (as part of Academische Vorming 2) and part 2 in year 3 (as part of Academische Vorming 3).
The programmes Biology offers part 1 and part 2 in year 2.
All other programmes offer the complete course (3 EC) in year 3 of the bachelor programme.
Course registration in uSis:
Students taking the complete (3 EC) course need to enroll in uSis for both part 1 and part 2 separately!
Register for this course via uSis
Course-registration in uSis using study-activity number (studie activiteit):
* ObaS Part1: study activity code ; Exam: 12210 ; Re-exam: 20366
* ObaS Part2: Study activity code ; Exam: 12211 ; Re-exam: 20115
Course registritation through searching for course title or course catalog number (studiedeel):
* ObaS Part1: 4602OBAS1T (OBAS 1 registration code)
* ObaS Part2: 4602OBAS2T (OBAS 2 registration code)
Course registration through academic requirements (studievereisten):
* This method of registration is not suitable for this course. Please use one of the above registration options.
There is no formal deadline in uSis regarding registration for this course. However, for proper organization of the course we would like to kindly ask you to register at least 10 days before the date of the exam (or unregister should you not participate in the exam).
For more information on how to sign up for classes
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Informatica & Economie||Bachelor||2|