Hindi 2 Pre-Intermediate
|Periode:||Semester 1, Blok I, II|
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies who have passed Hindi 1 (Beginners).
Hindi 2 Pre-Intermediate is an integrated communicative course for further development of elementary language skills acquired in Hindi 1 Beginners. The course focuses on further strengthening of all four language skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing) and all three models of communication (interpersonal, presentational, interpretive) in Hindi for effective communication. This is an interactive course where communicative skills are improved through role-plays, drills and practical tasks. Conventional course materials will be supplemented by in-class formative assessment tools, Video clips, classroom games and other authentic materials. This course actively uses blended learning method by integrating face-to-face classroom component with an appropriate use of online tools in & outside the classroom.
By the end of the course, students should have reached approximately the A2 standard of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). This course is the second course in a series of three language acquisition courses within the BA International Studies program.
The main objectives of the course are:
- Further development of 4 skills of - listening, speaking, reading and writing in Hindi in areas of immediate relevance such as personal information, study, work and leisure.
- Enable students to interact in situations and routine tasks requiring exchange of information on familiar matters and activities.
- Extended knowledge of the basic grammar of Hindi and the ability to apply this knowledge in their own oral and written language.
- Ability to apply this knowledge practically in simple translations between English and Hindi.
- Equip students with a greater understanding of the culture, society and daily life in India/South Asia and be aware of cultural norms, social etiquettes, cuisine, traditions, and ways of living in the region.
CEFR Self-assessment Levels
- Reception (Listening & Reading): A2
- Speaking (Spoken Interaction & Production): A2
- Writing: A2
The timetable is available on the BA International Studies website.
Mode of instruction
Three two-hour tutorials every week, with the exception of the midterm exam week. Attending all tutorial sessions is compulsory. If you are unable to attend a session, please inform your tutor in advance, providing a valid reason for your absence. Being absent will result in a lower of the participation grade with 0.5 for every absence after the first three (3) times.
Total course load for this course is 10 EC (1 EC = 28 hours), this equals 280 hours, broken down by:
- Attending classes: (6 hours per week over 12 weeks) 72 hours
- Preparing classes, exams and extra activities : 198 hours
- Assessment hours (exams and other assessment): 10 hours
- Written exam and quiz.
- In-class oral/listening performance and home assignments.
To successfully complete the course, please take note that the end grade of the course is established by determining the weighted average of the in-class oral and listening performance and exams.
If the end grade is insufficient (lower than a 6), there is a possibility of retaking the full 80% of the exam material (reading, writing, speaking and listening). No resit for the tutorial (participation) is possible.
Retaking a passing grade
Please consult the Course and Examination Regulations 2017 – 2018.
How and when an exam review takes place will be determined by the examiner. This review will be within 30 days after official publication of exam results.
- Rupert Snell, Get Started in Hindi [With audio CD], London: Hodder,2014 [ISBN-13: 9781444174687]
- Rupert Snell, Essential Hindi Dictionary: A Teach Yourself Guide, London: Hodder, 2012 [ISBN-13: 978-0071759953]
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
General information about uSis can be found here.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
When contacting lecturers or tutors, please include your full name, student number and tutorial group number.
This course uses Integrated communicative language learning method. Therefore active participation in the classroom activities is essential for successful learning outcomes.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|International Studies||Bachelor||1||I, II|