MACH Seminar Art
|Periode:||Semester 1, Blok I, II|
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
No admission requirements. A background in visual studies would be helpful.
Popular Prints in Context
Popular prints were a ubiquitous feature of early modern life in the cities and rural areas in Japan. Going beyond the traditional subject matter of the floating world (beauties and actors), this course will look at prints, printed books and broadsheets depicting diverse subjects such as foreigners and Edo fire fighters, dating from the eighteenth century through the nineteenth century. What role did these prints play in ordinary people’s lifes? How did prints impact on people’s thoughts and understanding of their place in society? How did people engage with prints and for what purposes? How did popular prints operate at the intersection of commercial art and popular culture? This course will highlight the social and cultural significances of prints while addressing the wider aesthetic, discursive and epistemological developments in popular culture in early modern Japan.
Students will develop:
1. familiarity with the visual and textual analysis of popular prints
2. an understanding of the diverse functions of popular prints in their historical and cultural contexts
3. an ability to critically read, assess, present and discuss academic texts related to the field, necessary for conducting independent research.
Mode of instruction
- Seminar (werkgroep), with lecture elements
5 ects=140 hours
- Participation element (presence and participation in class) (30%)
- Analytical element (written literature review) (20%)
- Research element (research paper in consultation with instructor) (30%)
- Summative element (postings) (20%)
Yes, see for more info Blackboard
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Contact information: Dr. D. Mueller
All other information.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|