Electrochemistry and Bioelectrochemistry (EBE)
|Periode:||Semester 2, Blok III|
- Wel Keuzevak
- Wel Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Core course in MSc Chemistry – Energy & Sustainability, elective course MSc Chemistry, MSc Physics, MSc Life Science and Technology
BSc in MST or LST
-The course deals with the fundamental principles of electrochemistry: thermodynamics, double layer structure, electrochemical kinetics, mass transport in electrochemical systems, and electrochemical and non-electrochemical techniques applied to the study of electrochemical phenomena. In the second part of the course, several fields of application of electrochemistry will be discussed: electron-transfer theory, electrocatalysis, bio-electrochemistry, photo- electrochemistry, corrosion, electroplating, and batteries. The course finishes with a field trip to a company or research institute active in electrochemistry and electrochemical engineering.
At the end of the course students
• will have knowledge of fundamental principles of electrochemical systems
• will understand physical and chemical phenomena taking place at electrode-electrolyte interfaces
• will have an overview of the wide variety of electrochemical applications in industry and daily life
• can digest and present a summary of a scientific article from the literature
Mode of instruction
Lectures, exercises, excursion and discussion meetings
Schedule information can be found on the website of the programmes.
The course is based on the following book:
A.J.Bard, L.R.Faulkner, Electrochemical Methods, Fundamentals and Applications, Wiley.
Slides presented during the courses, course notes
Written examination (50%)
Presentation of a scientific article (50%)
Presence at the lectures and discussion meetings is obligatory.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|