Physiology, Basic Concepts
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Monday 21 January 2019 – Friday 1 March 2019.
General knowledge of the English language, biology, mathematics, physics, and chemistry as required for students to be accepted for Biomedical Sciences.
The course Physiology, Basic Concepts, consists of two main themes.
**Theme 1. Cardiovascular and Respiratory System (prof.dr. Steendijk)
* Anatomy of the heart and vessels
* Cardiac electrophysiology and ECG
* Molecular mechanisms
* Excitation-contraction coupling
* Cardiac muscle physiology and cardiac function
* Gas exchange and transport
* Cardio-pulmonary interaction
* Cardio-vascular interaction
* Neurohormonal control
* Exercise and heart failure
**Theme 2. Kidneys and Homeostasis (dr. Gaasbeek)
* Anatomy of the kidneys
* Renal clearance and blood flow
* Regulation of glomular filtration rate and renal blood flow
* Tubular transport systems and functions
* Urine dilution an concentration
* Acid-base regulation
* Osmolality and volume regulation
* describes and defines the structure and functions of the cardiovascular system, the respiratory system and the kidneys
* relates the functions of organs/organ-systems to the specific anatomical, mechanical and (with regard to the heart) electrical properties
* describes the role of these organ system in homeostasis of the organism
* illustrates by clinical examples how several pathophysiologic conditions of organs/organ-systems can be viewed from basic physiological principles
Mode of instruction
Plenary lectures, interactive seminars, practicals, working groups, e-learning, rehearsal exams.
Two exams. Exam 1: Cardiovascular System (50%); Exam 2: Kidneys and Homeostasis (50%). Final course grade is the average of exam 1 and exam 2, but each individual exam should score at least grade 4.5.
The exam dates can be found on the schedule website.
- Moore: Clinically oriented anatomy (7th edition, 2013)
- Pawlina: Histology (7th edition, 2015)
- Boron: Medical Physiology (3rd edition)
- Herring, H. & D.J. Paterson: Levick's Introduction to Cardiovascular Physiology. (6th ed. 2018)
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|