Physiology, Advanced Concepts
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Monday March 4th – Friday March 22nd 2019.
The course Physiology, Advanced Concepts, is meant for the student who has already followed the course Physiology, Basic Concepts, or has a comparable level of knowledge on cardiovascular, respiratory and renal physiology.
This course focuses on impaired circulation as a result of inflammation, sepsis, endothelial dysfunction, thrombosis, atherosclerosis and vascular remodelling and its consequences for heart, lung and kidney physiology. Subtopics that will be discussed during the course are:
- endothelial (dys)function
- (ab)normal hemostasis
- vascular responses to Toll-like receptor activation
- inflammatory & ischemic kidney disease
- pulmonary arterial hypertension
- atherosclerosis, coronary artery disease & myocardial infarction
- heart failure: hemodynamic & electrophysiological effects
After having followed this course, students should have a clear understanding of the major pathophysiological processes involved in blood flow impairment and its consequences for heart, lung and kidney function.
Mode of instruction
This course consists of lectures, seminars, working groups and self-study assignments.
Multiple choice exam.
The exam dates can be found on the schedule website.
- Boron, W. & Boulpaep, E., Medical Physiology, 3th ed., 2016, Elsevier.
- Herring, H. & D.J. Paterson, Levick's Introduction to Cardiovascular Physiology. Sixth edition, 2018. Taylor & Francis Inc.
- Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. V. Kumar, A.K. Abbas, J.C. Aster, 2015, 9th edition, Elsevier, Philadelphia. PA.
- Versteeg HH et al. New fundamentals in hemostasis. Physiol Rev. 2013; ;93:327-358.
- Other selected scientific papers and parts of other text books.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|