Chemistry and Physics of Solids (CPS)
|Periode:||Semester 2, Blok III|
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Elective course for MSc Chemistry, students in Solid State Chemistry and Materials Science.
BSc in MST. Other candidates should have basic of solid state chemistry / physics.
This course deals with chemistry and physics of solids with emphasis on physical behaviour of materials. It begins with a brief survey of materials synthesis and preparation techniques which are often neglected in most solid-state physics texts. Chapter 2 discusses atomic packing and geometry, symmetry, space groups, reciprocal space etc., which are the basics of understanding the structure of crystalline solids. In the section on electron in solids (chapter 3), descriptions of electronic structure from the viewpoints of chemists (‘bonds’) and physics (‘bands’) are discussed and compared. Some important physical properties of solids, e.g. heat capacity, magnetism, dielectrics, superconductivity, luminescence, are dealt with in the remaining chapters (4-7).
At the end of the course students:
• Will have knowledge of different forms of solid materials: their synthesis and structure determination based on diffraction techniques
• Will understand the basics of electronic band theory and the differences of band structures between metals, semiconductors and insulators
• Will learn the important physical properties of solids and theories to explain them
• Will be familiar with some important materials and their applications in modern technology
Mode of instruction
Lectures and exercises
Schedule information can be found on the website of the programmes.
A.R. West, Solid State Chemistry And Its Applications, 1987, John Wiley & Sons (optional)
C. Kittel, Introduction to solid state physics, 8th ed. 2005, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 0-471-41526-X
Written examination (100%)
Information about the Lecturer
Register for this course via uSis
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Life Science and Technology||Master||2||III|