On being a Scientist
- Geen Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Onderstaande informatie is onder voorbehoud van wijzigingen
Science and in particular the natural sciences play an integral part in our society. However, due to incidents concerning integrity the societal credit has diminished.
This course is designed to inform bachelor students on topics such as scientific integrity and social responsibilities of scientists. Broad questions, which are inseparably linked to these topics are discussed. Namely regarding the nature of science and the societal role it fulfills.
On Being a Scientist encompasses the following subjects:
• What is science
• Which questions do scientists ask
• What do scientists do
• What do scientists contribute
• Alpha, beta & gamma; how do scientists differ
• How is science organised
• Scientific fraud and indecency
• Science & Industry
• Science and societal problems
• Scientific activism
• Students will be familiar with the preconditions and principles of science and “knows what is and isn’t acceptable”.
• Students will have a realistic view of what science is and what scientists do.
• Students will recognise integrity dilemmas; know how to handle themselves in clear cut situation, and have a sufficient basis to be able to handle unclear situations.
• Students know and recognise similarities and differences between their own discipline and other disciplines in- and outside the faculty of Science.
• Students will know the role of science in society; will realise their own social responsibility; and will be able to independently take position regarding social issue in which science plays an important role.
Lectures and group discussions
|March 1, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|March 8, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|March 15, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|March 22, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|April 5, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|April 12, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|April 26, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|May 3, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|May 10, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|May 17, 2019||09:00-11:00||Gorlaeus 04/05|
|May 24, 2019||09:00-12.00||USC|
|June 21, 2019||09:00-12:00||USC|
Students who still need to complete 'On being a scientist - Part 2' follow lectures starting from 26th of april.
Written examination and group assignments.
Name of the Bb module: On Being a Scientist  (4602OBAS3-1718FWN)
Enroll in Blackboard. After enrollment the student assistants will assign students to groups.
Aanbevolen (niet verplicht):
On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research: Third Edition (2009). National Academies Press, Washington, D.C. – available as free download
John Hatton & Paul Plouffe (1997) Science and its ways of knowing.
This course is offered to all students of the Faculty of Science.
Course registration in uSis:
Register for this course via uSis
Course-registration in uSis using study-activity number (studie activiteit):
To be announced.
Course registritation through searching for course title or course catalog number (studiedeel):
To be announced.
Course registration through academic requirements (studievereisten):
* This method of registration is not suitable for this course. Please use one of the above registration options.
There is no formal deadline in uSis regarding registration for this course. However, for proper organization of the course we would like to kindly ask you to register at least 10 days before the date of the exam (or unregister should you not participate in the exam).
For more information on how to sign up for classes
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Astronomy and Cosmology||Master||2|
|Astronomy and Instrumentation||Master||2|
|Informatica & Economie||Bachelor||2|
|Natuurkunde en Sterrenkunde (dubbele bachelor)||Bachelor||2|
|Natuurkunde en Wiskunde (dubbele bachelor)||Bachelor||2|
|Sterrenkunde en Natuurkunde (dubbele bachelor)||Bachelor||2|
|Sterrenkunde en Wiskunde (dubbele bachelor)||Bachelor||2|