|Periode:||Semester 2||Onderwijstijd in uren
- Wel Keuzevak
- Wel Contractonderwijs
- Wel Exchange
- Wel Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Originally logic was used by the Greek Sophists to demonstrate the correctness of their argument in formal debates. The ambiguity of human languages asked for formulation of logic in a symbolic formal language. Only towards the end of the 19th century logic has been formulated in the language of mathematics, and in particular of algebra, making it a useful tool to solve mathematical problems. In the same period the language used to prove theorems from mathematics begun suffering the same problems of natural language, showing many paradoxes. Logic was proposed as the foundational language of mathematics, but several limitation where soon discovered. More recently logic has become the language of computer science, just as calculus is the language of many engineering discipline.
In this course we will study propositional and predicate logic, their proof theory, their limitation, as well as some of their applications in computer science.
The course gives an introduction to the field of mathematical logic by presenting the syntax and semantics of propositional logic and of the richer language of predicate logic. The goal is to describe and investigate the above logics by finitary methods, and to train students in formalizing specifications and in verifying properties of systems.
Mode of instruction
Lectures and exercise classes. A weekly practice class is a mandatory component of the course.
Students will be evaluated on the basis of a written examination complemented with take-home assignments. Examination is worth 70% of the final grade (with a minimum of 5.5). The remaining 30% is from the average grade of take-home assignments
- Michael R. A. Huth and Mark D. Ryan.
- Logic in Computer Science: Modelling and Reasoning about Systems.
- Cambridge University Press, 2004 (ISBN 052154310X).
Signing up for classes and exams
There is limited space for students who are not enrolled in the BSc programme of Computer Science or the Minor Data Science. Please contact the study coordinator/study adviser.
Onderwijscoördinator Informatica, Riet Derogee
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Informatica: Dubbele Bachelor (Informatica + Wiskunde)||Bachelor|
|Sterrenkunde en Informatica (dubbele propedeuse)||Bachelor|
|Natuurkunde en Informatica (dubbele propedeuse)||Bachelor||2|