Physiology and health
- Wel Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
Coordinator: dr. Angelic van der Aar
Although most people regularly cook, they generally do not consider the science behind it. During the preparation of food a tremendous amount of physical, chemical en biological processes are taking place. To understand what happens when we cook food, you need to be familiar with the underlying biological, chemical and physical principles.
The fundamental science of cooking will be covered through four themes:
-Physiology and health
-Physics of food and water
-Microbiology and food safety
Do you ever wonder what the influence of food is on the functioning of the body? In this theme, science of cooking: Physiology and Health, you will learn aspects from human physiology that are related to cooking, digestion and nutrition from a health perspective. You will review on various diseases related to food digestion, perform a research on the effects of food on the microbiome, learn about the genetic and physiologic aspects in tasting food and investigate the scientific basis of food claims/rules.
- Students can explain the physiological principles behind metabolism of food.
- Students can describe the effects of food on metabolism and health.
- Students can explain the relation between genomics and food and to apply genomics in food-related research questions.
- Students can describe the properties of various (macro)molecules in food.
- Students know and understand the scientific foundations (theories, methods, techniques) of physiology and health related to food and cooking, and can understand scientific publications in the field.
- Students can relate the various scientific disciplines and use an interdisciplinary approach to analyze a problem and generate solutions.
- Students can document and present results.
Period: September – January
Or: February - June
Mode of instruction
Lectures, practicals, tutorials.
The grade will be based on a written exam.
Blackboard will be used for communication and exchange of documents
Course materials will be provided by the teachers.
This course is part of the programme Science of Cooking, a student is required to follow all course included in this programme.
To register for this programme send an email with cv and motivation letter via firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for registration is 15th of June 2018.
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|