Hands-on Research Experience in Museum Volkenkunde
|Periode:||Semester 2, Blok III, IV|
- Wel Keuzevak
- Geen Contractonderwijs
- Geen Exchange
- Geen Study Abroad
- Geen Avondonderwijs
- Geen A-la-Carte en Aanschuifonderwijs
- Geen Honours Class
After approval of the lecturer. Some knowledge of Buddhism and/or Buddhist art is recommended.
Under the guidance of the lecturer, the students work on a group of related Hindu and/or Buddhist objects from South or Southeast Asia in the collection of the museum. After an introduction into the subject, including visits to the museum and the depot of the museum, they work on various types of museum texts including object descriptions, general exhibition texts, catalogue items and informative texts. They also review the work of their fellow students and make a 2-minute film presentation about an object of their choice. Students who do the 10EC variant write an additional research paper.
• Practical experience in a museum setting
• Insight into the history of museum collections and the role of objects as cultural heritage
• Advanced knowledge of and insight into Hindu and/or Buddhist art and material culture in its cultural context
• Academic skills to write descriptive and informative texts for a general public, to review other students’s texts and make a film presentation
The timetable is available on the Asianstudies website
Mode of instruction
Seminar combined with individual research
For the 5EC version:
• Writing and reviewing museum texts: 25%
• Writing a catalogue item (500 words): 25%
• Making a 2-minute film and contributing to discussions: 25%
• Writing an informative catalogue text (1000 words): 25%
For the 10EC version:
• Same as for the 5 EC version: 50%
• Additional research paper (4000 words): 50%
Students may request an oral elucidation of the assessment within 30 days after publication of the grade.
Readings and information will be posted on the Blackboard
In consultation with the lecturer.
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
|Maakt deel uit van||Soort opleiding||Semester||Blok|
|Asian Studies (60 EC): History, Arts and Culture of Asia||Master||2||III, IV|
|Asian Studies (60 EC): South Asian Studies||Master||2||III, IV|
|Asian Studies (60 EC): Southeast Asian Studies||Master||2||III, IV|