State of the Field seminar: Traditional Chinese Culture
|Period:||Semester 1, Block I, II|
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
- Modern Chinese (BA Leiden + Chinayear, or HSK 5)
- Advanced Premodern Chinese
- Proper registration as a MA student, sufficient command of premodern Chinese.
During this class we will critically engage with the field of gender studies in China, especially with respect to the period before 1949. We will read and discuss representative works, but each student should also select a topic for in-depth investigation. The precise selection of topics will depend in part on the interests of the participants.
- analytical engagement with the field that goes beyond empirical study
- contextualising the position of women within society at large
- developing academic skills such as oral presentation and writing essays
First semester, two hours per week.
Check the timetable on the departmental website.
Paper, discussion in class, and presentations.
The module will make use of blackboard for course communication, general course proceedings, and information on reading material as well as assessment criteria.
Will be decided in class.
Enroll on time via uSis.
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Area Studies (Research): Asia and the Middle East: Asian Studies||Master||1||I, II|
|Area Studies (Research): Asia and the Middle East: Comparative Area Studies||Master||1||I, II|
|Chinese Studies||Master||1||I, II|