French – Intermediate
|Period:||Semester 1, Block I, II||Hours of study:||102:00 hrs|
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
- Class of 2017: this course is not available to first-year students, as it has been scheduled opposite the Global Challenges courses.
- Classes of 2013-2016: French – Beginners, French – Elementary or an intermediate knowledge of French: B1 (Common European Framework) .
French Intermediate Objectif Diplomatie 2 is a French language course for students who are intermediate level students (B1 CEFR). It enables French to be learnt in the context of European and international relations and thus is of use to diplomats, international civil servants etc. This course offers a fast and practical method of learning French which is based on the completion of assignments specific to the needs of the target audience. The textbook is divided into units, each of which contains situations for developing oral and written skills, information about European and International Institutions.
The required competences for a B2 (upper-intermediate) language level can be described as follows: the student can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialization.The student can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. The student can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Mode of instruction
This course builds up the language skills of students who have already an intermediate knowledge of French and develops the full range of communication skills in speaking, reading, listening and writing. Course contents are grammar practice, vocabulary building, listening, speaking and writing activities. The course based on language learning books, requires a lot of self-study at home. The method of teaching is communicative and classes will be conducted primarily in French. A Blackboard site will support the course, hosting a toolbox, course outline+weekly overview, assignments and assessment.
In-class participation, 10%
Listening comprehension exam, 20%
Oral presentation + discussion, 20%
Reading/vocabulary/ grammar/ creative writing CEFR B1/B2, 40%
Writing composition (500 words), 40%
- Objectif Diplomatie 2 (B1/B2) Le Français des relations européennes et internationales (+CD), M. Soignet, Hachette ISBN 978-2-01-155557-1
- Grammaire Progressive du français Niveau Intermédiaire Nouvelle édition M.Grégoire CLE International ISBN:978-2-09-033854-6
- Corrigés Grammaire Progressive du français Niveau Intermédiaire Nouvelle édition CLE International ISBN:978-2-09-033855-3
The first lesson you must be in possession of the books!
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges||Bachelor||1||I, II|