Spanish – Intermediate
|Period:||Semester 1, Block I, II||Hours of study:||102:00 hrs|
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
- Class of 2017: this course is not available to first-year students, as it has been scheduled opposite the Global Challenges courses.
- Classes of 2013-2016: Spanish – Elementary and/or Level B1 Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Students that do not meet this prerequisite should contact the instructor regarding the required competencies before course allocation.
The goal of this course is to consolidate and expand the fundamentals of Spanish language acquired at the level of Spanish Elementary. The course aims to develop language skills in five areas: reading, listening, speaking, writing and cultural competence. Grammatical structures and vocabulary will also be integrated into the learning process in meaningful contexts. Furthermore an important aspect of the course will be the cultural knowledge about Spain and Latin America, with a strong emphasis on intercultural communication.
In terms of the CEFR of the Council of Europe, the student will understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible, produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
Mode of instruction
This course will be delivered in Spanish. Students are expected to use the target language as a means of communication in the classroom. Each session will aim to develop the skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. The classes will be highly interactive and students will often work in pairs or groups to practice their language skills.
- Destino ERASMUS 2, Estudios Hispánicos Universidad de Barcelona, SGEL, 2008. ISBN 9788497784146 (book + CD)
- A bilingual dictionary (Oxford, Collins, or Larousse )
- Additional assigned reading material (lecturas en español)
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges||Bachelor||1||I, II|