Health Systems & Management
|Period:||Semester 1, Block II||Hours of study:||35:00 hrs|
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
An adequate health system delivers services to all people who need it but also protects people against financial consequences of ill-health and protects a population against diseases.
The exact configuration of health services varies worldwide but without good policies and leadership, health systems do not function effectively. For example, disproportionate focus on specialistic care or extreme commercialization of health care delivery can overrule the initial goal of a good health care system. This course will discuss the different ‘building blocks’ of a health care system such as :
- Leadership and governance
- Health Information systems
- Health financing
- Human resources for health (health workforce)
- Access to medical products and technologies
- Effective service delivery
After this course students will:
- Be able to describe and analyze health systems (providers, customers, and state) under different social and political circumstances
- Be able to describe and analyze health services (hospitals, first line arrangements, home care, public health institutions).
- Be able to analyze and evaluate networks of integrated care and health care quality.
- Know different health care management practices
Once available, timetables will be published here.
Mode of instruction
Individual assignment – (20%) – (Weeks 2/3/4/5/6, five in total, 300 words each)
Group assignment: presentation – (30%) – (two per students, 20 minutes per presentation)
Individual assignment; final essay (3000 words) – 40%
In-class participation – 10%
There will be a Blackboard site available for this course. Students will be enrolled at least one week before the start of classes.
This course is open to LUC students and LUC exchange students. Registration is coordinated by the Curriculum Coordinator. Interested non-LUC students should contact email@example.com.
Dr. Jessica Kiefte-de Jong (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Global Public Health (LUC)||Major||1||II|
|Liberal Arts and Sciences: Global Challenges||Bachelor||1||II|