Thesis Seminar Philosophy (Spring)
|Period:||Semester 2, Block III, IV|
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
Admission to the course is restricted to students in the MA Philosophy 60 EC and the MA Philosophy 120 (all specialisations) who are writing their thesis in the second semester of 2016-2017. The course is a compulsory part of writing the MA thesis.
The thesis seminar supports students in the process of writing their MA thesis by developing and honing advanced writing and research skills. The seminar has six two-hour meetings (every two weeks). Topics to be covered include finding a suitable subject for your thesis, designing the research question, designing the outline of your argument, finding literature, professional referencing, and how to avoid plagiarism.
Students who successfully complete the course will be able to:
- independently find, study and evaluate relevant philosophical literature, intended for researchers in a specific field;
- handle philosophical complexity and to formulate judgments based on information from diverse sources, even if this information is limited or incomplete;
- make their own contribution to current discussions within the discipline of philosophy and within new and complex contexts related to philosophy;
- write philosophical papers that show the potential to come close to the level of articles in refereed journals.
The timetable is available on the MA Philosophy website
MA Philosophy 60 EC or MA Philosophy 120 EC
Mode of instruction
Class attendance is required.
Total course load: 12 hours
- Attending seminars (6 weeks x 2 hrs): 12 hours
The thesis seminar is a compulsory part of writing the MA thesis (20 EC). Attendance, preparation and active participation are compulsory.
Blackboard will be used for texts, announcements, and discussion.
Students are strongly advised to register in uSis through the activity number which can be found in the timetables for and exams in the column under the heading “uSis-Actnbr”.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Philosophy (60 EC): Ethics and Politics||Master||2||III, IV|
|Philosophy (60 EC): History and Philosophy of the Sciences||Master||2||III, IV|
|Philosophy (60 EC): Philosophical Anthropology and Philosophy of Culture||Master||2||III, IV|
|Philosophy (60 EC): Philosophy, Politics and Economics||Master||2||III, IV|
|Philosophy (120 EC): Philosophy of Humanities||Master||2||III, IV|
|Philosophy (120 EC): Philosophy of Law||Master||2||III, IV|
|Philosophy (120 EC): Philosophy of Natural Sciences||Master||2||III, IV|
|Philosophy (120 EC): Philosophy of Political Science||Master||2||III, IV|
|Philosophy (120 EC): Philosophy of Psychology||Master||2||III, IV|