The Academic Life
|Period:||Semester 2, Block III|
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- Yes Honours Class
This course is an Honours Class and therefore in principle only available to students of the Honours College. There are a few places available for regular students.
In a world where research should be excellent, what are the current responsibilities and societal roles of research? What is the relationship between universities, markets and civil society today? And what about the contemporary political economy of academic research environments and academic knowledge production? With both lectures and debate organized in this honours class titled ‘Academic Life’ we aim to increase awareness among this honours student population about the changing role of academic knowledge and academics in our current society.
8 interactive meetings: Tuesdays February 7, 14 and 21, March 7, 21 and 28, and April 4 and 11 2017, from 16.00-18.00.
Faculty of Social Sciences (Pieter de la Court building): 1A01 on 7 February, 1A11 on all other dates.
Subjects might include:
- Science policy / research governance / managerialism / accountability
- Science in transition
- Research funding /grand challenges / the national science agenda (NWA)
- Science ethics / Research integrity (e.g. open access, open data)
- Gender and diversity in academia
- Research evaluation and assessment / The Leiden Impact matrix – the various types of values attributed to academic work for wider society
This course is worth 5 EC, which means the total course load equals 140 hours.
- 50% Participation in weekly interactive sessions and final debate
- 50% Essay
Blackboard and uSis
Blackboard will be used in this course. Students can register for the Blackboard site two weeks prior to the start of the course.
Please note: students are not required to register through uSis for the Honours Classes. Your registration will be done centrally.
To be announced.
Enrolling in this course is possible from Monday November 7th until Sunday November 20th through the Honours Academy, via this link
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Honours Classes||Bachelor Honours Classes||2||III|