Physiology, Basic Concepts
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- Yes Exchange
- Yes Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
Monday November 13th – Friday December 22nd 2017.
General knowledge of the English language, biology, mathematics, physics, and chemistry as required for students to be accepted for Biomedical Sciences.
The course Physiology, Basic Concepts, consists of two main themes.
**Theme 1. Cardiovascular System (dr. Steendijk)
* Anatomy of the heart and vessels
* Cardiac electrophysiology and ECG
* Molecular mechanisms
* Excitation-contraction coupling
* Cardiac muscle physiology and cardiac function
* Gas exchange and transport
* Cardio-pulmonary interaction
* Cardio-vascular interaction
* Neurohormonal control
* Exercise and heart failure
**Theme 2. Kidneys and Homeostasis (dr. Gaasbeek)
* Anatomy of the kidneys
* Renal clearance and blood flow
* Regulation of glomular filtration rate and renal blood flow
* Tubular transport systems and functions
* Urine dilution an concentration
* Acid-base regulation
* Osmolality and volume regulation
* describes and defines the structure and functions of the cardiovascular system, the respiratory system and the kidneys
* relates the functions of organs/organ-systems to the specific anatomical, mechanical and (with regard to the heart) electrical properties
* describes the role of these organ system in homeostasis of the organism
* illustrates by clinical examples how several pathophysiologic conditions of organs/organ-systems can be viewed from basic physiological principles
Mode of instruction
Plenary lectures, interactive seminars, practicals, working groups, e-learning, rehearsal exams.
Two exams. Exam 1: Cardiovascular System (50%); Exam 2: Kidneys and Homeostasis (50%). Final course grade is the average of exam 1 and exam 2, but each individual exam should score at least grade 5.0.
- Exam Part 1: Friday December 1st 2017 from 09.00-11.00h
- Exam Part 2: Friday December 22nd 2017 from 13.00-15.00h.
- Re-exam part 1: Thursday May 3rd 2018 from 09.00-11.00h
- Re-exam part 2: Thursday May 3rd 2018 from 13.00-15.00h
- Moore: Clinically oriented anatomy (7th edition, 2013)
- Pawlina: Histology (7th edition, 2015)
- Boron: Medical Physiology (2nd updated edition)
- Levick: Cardiovascular Physiology (5th edition, 2009)
Information for exchange students
This module is part of an English taught semester of the bachelor’s programme in Biomedical Sciences at Leiden University Medical Center. Combining biomedical modules with modules from other programmes in Leiden is difficult or impossible due to different scheduling schemes. Exchange students* with sufficient relevant background knowledge in biology/biomedicine are therefore encouraged and advised to choose the entire module package indicated below (September – end of December 2016).
- Immunology (BW), 9 EC
- Infectious Agents And Immunity, 6 EC
- Physiology, Basic Concepts, 8 EC
- Communication in Science for Exchange students, 2 EC
- Biomedical Academic Scientific Training for Exchange Students, 3 ECTS
- Applied Electrophysiology for Exchange students, 2 ECTS
*the modules are obligatory for students from the Karolinska Institute that attend the curricular exchange programme
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|