Entrepreneurship and Innovation
|Period:||Semester 1, Block I|
- Yes Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- Yes Exchange
- Yes Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
Entrepreneurship plays an important role in society, not the least because of its positive link with regional and national development and growth. Entrepreneurs are the agents of change who identify and act upon so-called entrepreneurial opportunities. The number of entrepreneurs, also among students, has increased considerably in the Netherlands and other Western countries over the past years. An increasing amount of people recognize that entrepreneurship may be rewarding in terms of high levels of autonomy and satisfaction with one’s work.
The process of recognizing an entrepreneurial opportunity, and creating and growing an entrepreneurial venture is central to the course Entrepreneurship and Innovation. The focus is primarily on the individual (potential) entrepreneur with the relevant entrepreneurial mindset who takes the risk of starting a business. The role of innovation will also be discussed because innovation and entrepreneurship go hand in hand.
This introductory course is a challenging entry to business studies, entrepreneurship, and innovation. Students will gain important academic and practical insights in the principles of entrepreneurship, innovation, and the domains closely connected to entrepreneurial decision making such as marketing, strategy, financial management, and corporate responsibility. The course consists of lectures, interactive exercises, case discussions, and students are expected to write and pitch a start-up plan.
Objective of this course is to gain thorough understanding of entrepreneurship and innovation.
At the end of the course:
- the student will be able to explain what entrepreneurship is.
- the student can identify at least two skills, attitudes, and behaviors a succesful entrepreneur typically possesses.
- the students can explain the role of marketing, HR management, finance and strategy in successfully starting a business.
- the students are able to create an innovative start-up plan.
- the students are able to pitch their start-up plan in a convincing manner, in line with theories and models of pitching techniques.
Zie de opleidingspagina van de website.
Method of teaching
- Number of sessions, 2 hours each: dr. Peter van der Zwan.
- Name of lecturer: yet to be determined.
- Lectures are taught in English.
- Number of sessions, 2 hours each: 7
- Name of lecturer: dr. Peter van der Zwan and drs. Niek Strohmaier.
- Preparation: each week a separate assignment is due.
- Workshops are taught in Dutch and in English, depending on the audience.
Types of assessment
- Exam (70%)
- Business innovation plan (20%)
- Other assignments (10%)
A minimum score of 5.0 is required for the exam. Passes for the separate parts can be reapplied at the re-sits in the same year only.
Regulation retake passed exams
In this course it is possible to retake an exam that has been passed (cf. art. 184.108.40.206 and further of the Course and Examination Regulations), on the condition that this course is included in the compulsory components of the degree programme. Students who have passed the exam may retake the final written assessment (test) of the course. Please contact the Student Administration Office (OIC) for more information.
Each week parts of the final paper have to be submitted, including feedback to other students’ work.
The studied chapters from the text book, all class notes and PowerPoints and extra articles published on
Blackboard is applied for this course.
- Hisrich, R., Peters, M. and Shepherd, D. (2017). Entrepreneurship (10th edition), McGraw-Hill: New York, ISBN: 9781259255427 (paperback version).
- Syllabus: on Blackboard.
- Reader: none.
- Coordinator: Dr. P.W. van der Zwan
- Address: Steenschuur 25, room B 3.14
- Working days: Monday to Friday 09.00 - 17.00
- Telephone: 071 – 527 6135
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Institute: Tax Law and Economics
- Department of Business Studies:
- Room number secretariat: B 2.11
- Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00 – 17.00
- Telephone secretariat: 071 – 527 7851
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Belangstellenden die deze cursus in het kader van contractonderwijs willen volgen (met tentamen), kunnen meer informatie vinden over kosten, inschrijving, voorwaarden, etc. op de website van Juridisch PAO. Let op dat er wel voldaan moet worden aan de toegangseisen.
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Optional courses Law||Optional course||1|
|Rechtsgeleerdheid - Entrepreneurship and Management||Bachelor||1|
|Exchange Law||Exchange and Study Abroad Students||1||I|