French 2 (Upper-) Intermediate
|Period:||Semester 1, Block I, II||Hours of study:||76:00 hrs|
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies who have passed French 1 Pre-Intermediate.
In this course you learn how to handle successfully a variety of social situations you may encounter in daily life in France or other French-speaking countries, or when meeting French-speaking people. You learn to maintain face-to-face conversations. We will focus on speaking and understanding the language with a variety of oral and written communication tasks in small groups, in pairs or with the whole class. This course will also discuss cultural backgrounds of speakers of French.
This course enables the student to achieve a level B1+/B2 of the Common European Framework.
The final objective of this course series is to obtain an intermediate level of proficiency in French, aimed at communication with people in the region in everyday social situations and enabling students to follow current affairs in the region via various media.
- (Audio)visual reception (reading): B2+
- Written production (writing): B2
- Listening: B2
- Oral productions (speaking): B2
The timetable is available on the BA International Studies website.
Mode of instruction
Three two-hour tutorials every week, with the exception of the midterm exam week. Attending all tutorial sessions is compulsory. If you are unable to attend a session, please inform your tutor in advance, providing a valid reason for your absence. Being absent will result in a lower of the participation grade with 0.5 for every absence after the first three (3) times.
Total course load for this course is 10 EC (1 EC = 28 hours), this equals 280 hours, broken down by:
- Attending classes: (6 hours per week over 12 weeks) 72 hours
- Preparing classes, exams and extra activities : 202 hours
- Assessment hours (exams and other assessment): 6 hours
- Participation: in-class activity and homework, tests / evaluation
- Mid-term exam: reading, writing, listening
- Final exam part I: reading, writing, listening
- Final exam part II: oral
|Final Exam Part I||30%|
|Final Exam Part II||20%|
To successfully complete the course, please take note that the end grade of the course is established by determining the weighted average of the in-class oral and listening performance and exams.
If the end grade is insufficient (lower than a 6), there is a possibility of retaking the full 80% of the exam material (reading, writing, speaking and listening). No resit for the tutorial (participation) is possible.
Retaking a passing grade
Please consult the Course and Examination Regulations 2017 – 2018.
How and when an exam review takes place will be determined by the examiner. This review will be within 30 days after official publication of exam results.
- Claire Miquel, Vocabulaire progressif du français niveau avancé, Clé internationale, 2e édition, ISBN: 978-209-038130-6
- Claire Miquel, Vocabulaire progressif du français niveau avancé, Clé internationale, 2e édition Corrigés, ISBN: 978-2-09-038131-3
- Grammaire progressive du Français Niveau Intermédiaire Nouvelle édition, CLE International, ISBN: 978-2-09-038124-5
- Grammaire progressive du Français Niveau Intermédiaire Corrigés Nouvelle édition, CLE International, ISBN: 978-2-09-038117-7
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
General information about uSis can be found here.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
When contacting lecturers or tutors, please include your full name, student number and tutorial group number.
This course uses Integrated communicative language learning method. Therefore active participation in the classroom activities is essential for successful learning outcomes.
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|International Studies||Bachelor||1||I, II|