Master's Research Project
|Period:||Semester 1 & 2|
- No Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
By means of the master thesis project, the student learns to:
- make an independent analysis of scientific problems, analysis of relevant specialist literature, formulate verifiable hypotheses, and set up and carry out research and critical reflection on one’s own research and that of others,
- contribute to an unsolved problem,
- present clearly, verbally as well as in writing, one’s own research results,
- communicate with colleagues,
- write a scientific thesis,
- optionally: present his/her research results as a contribution to a congress or as (part of) a scientific publication.
A master thesis project deals with research and innovation. The research conducted in a master thesis project is part of the research focus of the institute. The major requirement of a master’s thesis project is to contribute original research. Its major difference to the research project is a bigger scope, and a tight integration into the supervisor’s research activity at LIACS. The student needs to write a scientific report and to give an oral presentation explaining the results of the research project.
The research project is executed under the supervision of a research staff member at LIACS. Master’s thesis topics are provided within the master class, as well as directly by speaking with individual supervisors. A second supervisor providing an opinion independent of the first supervisor is mandatory for the master’s thesis.
- Writing a master’s thesis
- Oral presentation and defense
The final mark is composed of the master’s thesis and the oral presentation and defense, giving a majority of the weight to the thesis. Other contributions, such as e.g. scientific publications, poster presentations, and conference presentations can also be taken into account in the grading.
There is no explicit website for the master’s thesis. Potential topics can be found on the web site of the master class.
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Computer Science with the specialization Data Science||Master|
|Computer Science and Advanced Data Analytics||Master||1 & 2|