Business Research Methods
|Period:||Semester 1 & 2, Block II, IV||Hours of study:||140:00 hrs|
- Yes Elective choice
- Yes Contractonderwijs
- Yes Exchange
- Yes Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
Business Research is a field of practical study which aims to find the truth for business phenomena and tackles real-life business problems through gathering data and applying different scientific methods. The Business Research Methods course focuses on analysing and solving issues in a systematic way. Students learn to use different research methods to answer questions such as: how do entrepreneurs make decisions about whether or not to enter a particular business or to refine a business idea? How do established businesses determine whether they can succeed in a new geographic region? How do they assess competitors or select a marketing approach for a product? Furthermore, students will learn hows customers interact and how they respond to certain products or services. First, the course will focus on the different parts of research process and then on the appropriateness of specific research methods. A variety of research methods which are considered in this course are case studies, surveys, interviews and focus groups.
This course is useful for anyone who aspires to become an entrepreneur, manager, consultant, analyst or investor and who is interested in identifying and solving business problems.
- The nature and importance of business research;
- The fundamental concepts of business research methods that are useful for applying qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- Different types of business research methods and their applications.
This course provides students with skills and knowledge which are necessary in the research process and the application of qualitative and quantitative research methods in order to analyse the business problems. At the end of this course students will be able to develop an academic research/project proposal as a basis for a thesis by:
- acquiring skills in defining research questions and setting research objectives;
- critically evaluating different research methods by identifying both pros and cons of qualitative and quantitative methods;
- applying different research methods including qualitative and quantitative methods to analyse different data.
- Course: Monday and Friday 14:00 – 17:00 hrs, November 15th – December 15th 2017
- Exam: 14:00 – 17:00 hrs, January 10th 2018
Semester 2: click here for the schedule
Mode of instruction
10 3 hour lectures
3 hour exam
Written examination and participation
Students can register for the course in uSis. Click here for instructions.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Science Based Business||SBB||1 & 2||II, IV|