|Period:||Semester 1 & 2, Block I, III||Hours of study:||84:00 hrs|
- Yes Elective choice
- Yes Contractonderwijs
- Yes Exchange
- Yes Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
This course focuses on crucial issues and developments that define the field of strategic marketing as it is today. The word “strategic” refers both to the essentiality of marketing to an organisation’s revenue model and to our particular focus on how decision-makers in the field of marketing make the choices that they do, when operating under limited information and with uncertain outcomes. Attention is given to changes made possible by the revolution in ICT that began several decades ago, which are continuing to reshape and redefine the role of marketing and how it is done. The job of marketing manager has changed so much over the past several years that it is a simple truism to state that a CV that was valid at the beginning of the millennium is no longer relevant today.
The classroom experience is interactive and one in which students contribute to each other’s learning, through the sharing of experiences, interpretations and perspectives. We explore and develop themes in strategic marketing using the case study method, which engages students in the simulation of managerial decision-making processes. The course should be useful to anyone who might wish to become an entrepreneur, work in a business environment, or for an NGO; for those who may wish to merge backgrounds in science, technology, medical areas, or academia, and a business career; and for those who seek bridges of understanding between their future careers and the world of business.
- Students will study the impact and interaction of phenomena driven by the revolution in ICT and societal changes. These include, but are not limited to: the widespread diffusion of mobile technology, the use of social media, interactive marketing, and data-warehousing and customer relationship management.
- Students will study how firms use market research techniques (multi-attribute analyses, focus groups and perceptual maps), competitor analysis, market segmentation, and the marketing mix to reach target markets.
- Students will study the marketing of innovation using concepts and models, including the Chasm Model, the Industry Life Cycle Model, First Mover Advantage, and two brand strategy models.
This course provides students with the knowledge, concepts, tools, and mind-set needed to achieve a clear and practical understanding of the field of strategic marketing management as it is today. Furthermore, it provides students with a firm basis for continual learning. At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- fluently discuss and integrate contemporary understandings of core concepts in marketing and branding;
- assess and design complete marketing plans and strategies that apply to real world organisations;
- assess and apply models and tools that involve the marketing of innovation as well as marketing in new situations (e.g. breaking the rules of how marketing has been done);
- formulate advice to enable new venture and established organizations to optimize marketing strategies.
- Course: Monday and Thursday 14:00 – 17:00 hrs, September 25th – October 19th 2017
- Exam: 14:00 – 17:00 hrs, October 23rd 2017
- Course: Monday and Thursday 14:00 – 17:00 hrs, February 26th – March 22nd 2018
- Exam: 14:00 – 17:00 hrs, March 26th 2018
Mode of instruction
The course emphasises small-scale, interactive teaching that focuses on real-life case studies. Students will be debriefed, in hindsight, on what really happened.
10 3 hour seminars
Case preparation before each seminar
Final exam (50%); Group assignments (30%); Class participation (20%)
A study pack with course readings and case studies will be provided at the start of the course.
Students who follow the Management track register for the track as a whole via Usis and this Jotform.
Students who want to follow this course as an elective register via Usis and this Jotform.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Science Based Business||SBB||1 & 2||I, III|