The Netherlands in Dutch Feature Films, Cultuurwetenschap I
|Period:||Semester 2, Block III, IV||Hours of study:||26:00 hrs|
- Yes Elective choice
- No Contractonderwijs
- Yes Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
This course aims at international students with a basic level of Dutch: A2/B1 of the CEFR.
This course is not about film, though Dutch feature films will be the starting point for studying Dutch culture and society. Subjects will be actual and diverse, e.g. the multi cultural society, religion, World War II, dealing with history. Central questions will be: how is this subject represented in this film, what is shown and what isn’t? And what does this say about Dutch society?
We will compare films, but also use other sources.
At home, students will watch films, read texts and do assignments which will be discussed in class. Two of these assignments will be graded.
As a final assignment, each student will write a 2500 words academic paper on a new theme.
During the semester you will learn the requirements of an academic paper in Dutch. We will discuss questions like: how to find a good topic? What are good sources and how can these be found? How to make reference notes? Several assignments will prepare you for the essay.
After this course, students:
* will have knowledge of the subjects dealt with in this course.
* will have basic knowledge of the theory of representation.
* will know the most important methods, sources, tools and techniques in the study of cultural history.
Students will be able to:
* reflect on representation in Dutch feature films.
* find relevant sources and reflect on on them
* formulate a problem and a substantiated answer
* work toghether with fellow students
* give feedback and incorporate received feedback
* write a 2500 words academic essay in Dutch in accordance with the guidelines.
The timetable is available on the Dutch Studies website
Mode of instruction
- Tutorials. Class attendance is mandatory. Students who are absent, will have to do an additional assignment. More than two absences will lead to exclusion form the course.
Total course load 5 EC x 28 hours = 140 hours.
* Class attendance: 13 x 2 = 26 hours
* Preparation (watch film, read texts, do assignments): 12 x 6 hours = 74 hours
* Final essay: 40 hours
The grade for this course will be based on two larger assignments and the final essay. The grade for the essay must be at least 6.
Class attendance and the other assignments: ‘obligations have to be met’
This course has to be passed for a positive bsa
- Two assigments: 25% each
- final essay: 50%
An unsatisfactory essay has to be rewritten in consultation with the lecturer
Assignments and essay will be discussed individually within 30 days after publication of the results.
Blackboard will be used intensively for all kind of purposes.
Reading list will be available on Blackboard as of December.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
You can contact the lecturer Ms. L. Winkelmolen about the contents of the course, for other general and practical matters, turn to the student adviser, ms. I. Zagar and for administrative matters, for instance if you have problems with registering in usis, the administration of Dutch Studies.
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Dutch Studies||Bachelor||2||III, IV|