|Period:||Semester 2, Block IV||Hours of study:||36:00 hrs|
- Yes Elective choice
- Yes Contractonderwijs
- No Exchange
- No Study Abroad
- No Evening course
- No A la Carte
- No Honours Class
Bachelor year 2.
BA2 course Bioarchaeology (or equivalent level) obtained.
Archaeo- and palaeobotanical research requires knowledge of collecting, extracting, determining and curating Pleistocene and/or Holocene plant fossils and, in addition, presentation of fossil botanical data and data analysis.
All these aspects will be addressed in detail based on the study of fossiliferous sediments from a Quaternary site that contains archaeology (either lithic artefacts, cut-marked bone of both). The site for study will depend on what is available at the time.
- Knowledge of and insight into the research methods and techniques and their application possibilities within palaeobotany and archaeobotany (particularly plant macrofossils);
- Knowledge of and insight into the relevance of these techniques to archaeology;
- Ability to recognise plant macrofossils from Quaternary deposits that also contain Palaeolithic archaeology;
- Ability to determine and distinguish characteristic morphological features leading to accurate identification;
- Ability to present and analyse palaeobotanical data;
- Ability to conduct archaeobotanical research in a multidisciplinary approach that adds value to archaeological investigations;
- Ability to write a basic research report based on the practical work completed in the course.
Course schedule details can be found in the BA2 time schedule.
Mode of instruction
The course load will be distributed as follows:
- 36 hours of practical (2.6 ec);
- 196 pages of literature (1.4 ec);
- Report of 1,500-1,800 words (1 ec).
- Report (60%);
- Practical attendance (40%).
The practical will end at the end of block 4 and the report will be submitted 2 weeks from that date.
All exam dates (exams, re-sits, paper deadlines etc.) can be found in the BA2 examination schedule.
To be handed out during class and, of course, will be relevant to the site investigated.
Registration via uSis is mandatory.
- The Administration Office will register all BA1 students for their tutorials (not lectures; register via uSis!).
- BA2, BA3, MA/MSc and RMA/RMSc students are required to register for all lectures and tutorials well in time.
- Start registration for the BA2 seminars:
Series 1: 10 September 2018, 07:00 hrs
Series 2: 7 January 2018, 07:00 hrs
Series 3: 11 March 2018, 07:00 hrs
- The Administration Office registers all students for their exams, students are not required to do this in uSis.
All information (costs, registration, entry requirements, etc.) for those who are interested in taking this course as a Contractstudent is on the Contractonderwijs Archeologie webpage (in Dutch).
Please contact the lecturer for permission to take this course.
For more information about this course, please contact dr. M.H. (Mike) Field.
|Is part of||Programme type||Semester||Block|
|Archaeology: World Archaeology||Bachelor||2||IV|