Biomedical Sciences: Management, 2017-2018
The master’s programme in Biomedical Sciences – Management consists of compulsory components (e.g. courses and research projects) and electives. The total amount of credits of this two-year programme is 120 EC. Please check the list below for detailed descriptions of the components involved in the Management specialisation.
Additional information on the programme, its regulations, schedules and timetable, etcetera can be consulted at LUMC’s website and on Blackboard.
The master’s programme has the following objectives:
• to impart to students’ academic knowledge, insight, skills, and methodology in the field of biomedical sciences;
• to encourage students to adopt an academic attitude by acquiring the ability to:
- engage in individual and independent academic thinking
- analyse complex issues
- write academic reports
- apply specialist knowledge and skills in a philosophical and social context;
• to prepare students for an academic career and postgraduate education, or to prepare them for a career in teaching or another career outside academia
The Management specialisation is offered by Leiden University Medical Center in collaboration with the Faculty of Science. The programme, called Science Based Business (SBB), enables students to develop knowledge and insight of, and opinions on a career outside scientific research. It broadens the student’s perspective predominantly in the field of management (e.g. marketing, finance, project management). Yet, graduates will also be equipped to pursuit a career within scientific biomedical research. The entire programme is taught in English.
The programme encompasses compulsory components of the Research master’s programme (at least 60 EC) combined with the Science & Research Based Business programme at the Faculty of Science. A management internship will be executed at an organization/company with a link to the biomedical field. Approval of this internship should be given beforehand by the examination board. The programme can be extended within the free elective scope of the curriculum.
Programme components are:
- Science Based Business course programme (15 EC)
-Technology and operations management
- Project Proposal: Science Based Business (3 EC)
- Science Based Business: Specialisation and Training Period (26-42 EC)
*Students with prior education in management, business and entrepreneurship (e.g. students who have completed the Science Based Business (SBB) Fundamentals course – Bachelor edition) or equivalent may be exempted from following the SBB course programme in the master’s Management specialisation. These courses then need to be substituted by at least an equal number of EC of other SBB/Management master modules, offered by the Faculty of Science, or elsewhere.
For detailed description of the courses modules/components of SBB, please refer to the website of Science & Research Based Business directly.
Coordinator M-, C-, E- and H-specialisations
Ms. Dr.Ir. J. van der Zee