Education and Child Studies: Learning Problems and Impairments (International track), 2018-2019
Welcome to the specialisation Learning Problems and Impairments (international track),which is part of the Master’s Degree Programme in Education and Child Studies. Language of instruction in this specialisation is English.
More than 15% of school-age children have learning problems; they experience severe difficulties in learning one or more basic skills or they fail to display general base requirements. Experts who treat these children must be aware of the way in which children learn, what can go wrong and what interventions are evidence-based.
The Master’s specialisation in Learning Problems and Impairments offers a combination of theoretical insights, diagnostic and treatment strategies. Students learn to recognise common learning problems such as dyslexia, hyperlexia and discalculia, as well as learning problems caused by ADHD, ADD or speech and language disorders. In the course of the programme they acquire the knowledge and skills required to work in research and teaching positions.
During the specialisation in Learning Problems and Impairments you will:
- acquire in-depth knowledge of a socially crucial topic: not only do school drop-out and low literacy have economic consequences, learning problems also cause much personal suffering.
- acquire knowledge of the way in which pupils between the ages of 3 and 18 learn, and what can go wrong in this process.
- learn to recognise whether you are dealing with specific learning problems (dyslexia or discalculia) or learning problems caused by something else (for instance, weak cognitive control, attention disorders or stress-related problems).
- learn to design and test action plans.
- be able to participate intensively in designing and testing interventions in the early years in order to close the gap between high-achievers and low-achievers at an early stage.
Please refer to our website for the timetable.
For more information you can contact our study advisors.
|Conducting and evaluating empirical research||1||I||5||500|
|Learning, cognition and the brain||1||I||5||600|
|Learning problems and impairments: research and practice||1||II||5||600|
|Learning and ongoing evaluation of learning||1||II||5||600|
|Learning and Instruction||2||III||5||600|
|Internship Learning problems and impairments (international track)||2||III, IV||15||400|
|Masterproject||1 & 2||I, II, III, IV||20||500|